Wednesday 6 August 2014

It's a small world, after all....

Yesterday was Tuesday tarts day.
Today was Wednesday wenches day.

Want to know what I am talking about?

Friendship, especially womens' friendships.

Let me explain....

Tuesday Tarts,  which I have only recently become a more regular member of  is where my wonderful mother in law, sister in law and a couple of their girlfriends meet on a Tuesday morning at a local cafe for coffee and a good old chat.

I have taken the daughters ( referred to as the tartlets,  i.e. small tarts)  some times when they are in town and one of them commented that the group had the feel of a "a Liz Byrski novel".

Liz Byrski is one of my favourite authors, she writes novels about womens' friendship, lives, loves and all that stuff in-between.  Yesterday we had a wide ranging discussion from the impact things people can say to you on your life, in one tart's case, how  something said when she was a child has had an impact on her impression of her ability to do certain things most of her adult life;  to how to die with dignity. I told you it was a a diverse topic day.

In between all these life and death discussions, the tarts were chatting up a man of a certain age and invited him to join them next week! The biggest dilemma was what would he be? he couldn't be a tart, I suggested a Torte! A bit bigger than a tart, but still sweet!  Watch this space to see if he does join them next week!




Today for Wednesday wenches I met up with a woman I used to work with,  first over 20 years ago while we were both nursing in Sydney.  It really is a small world,  I have since met another woman I worked with at the same hospital too, she is also working with me at the private hospital. Anyway the first girl is friends with my very good friend and we met through her and recognised that we knew each other from before.

So now"retired" I can find time to catch up with people and expand my social network, so we had coffee and an hour went by in a flash. We talked about family, my gap year and the slog of working full time and her post graduate studies. That is one thing I admire about nurses, we are always improving our skills and knowledge and most of these studies are done in our own time and expense, and does not lead to  $$'s  reward, unlike in other careers, just better care for our patients.

So now I'm off to the big smoke with a couple of days with the  2 of the tartlets, for a bit of girl time.



What about you, have you read any Liz Byrski book?
Have you reconnected with someone from your past?
Do you have a coffee group?

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing